OUTHGILL 05A - The Jew Stone
A replica of the "Jew Stone" on Outhgill village green in Mallerstang, Eden Valley, Cumbria.
The original monument was erected by the eccentric Carlisle solicitor, William Mounsey (known as the Jew of Carlisle) in 1850 on Black Fell Moss. This marked his achievement of walking from the mouth of the Eden on the Solway marshes to its source on Black Fell Moss. The original stone was broken by workmen on the Carlisle to Settle railway.
The translated inscription reads:
"William Mounsey, a lone traveller, commenced his journey at the mouth and finished at the source, fulfilled his vow to the genius and nymphs of the Eden on the 15th March, 1850".
September 23, 2018
© Joan Martin - All Rights Reserved.
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more