SLAIDBURN 30A - Church of St James, Dalehead
Church of St. James, Dalehead, near Slaidburn in the Forest of Bowland, Lancashire.
The original church of 1852 stood on a lower level and was demolished due to the construction of Stocks Reservoir. It was rebuilt as a "Mortuary Chapel" and re-opened in 1938. In 1927 over 150 bodies were exhumed from the old graveyard to be reburied in the new higher one, and the Water Board offered familes £15 to move their own relatives! The new graveyard has become popular with botanists because of the wild flowers that thrive there.
July 14, 2013
© Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH). All Rights Reserved.
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more