THIRLMERE 05A - Thirlmere Reservoir Straining Well
The straining well and valve house for Thirlmere Reservoir in the Lake District, Cumbria.
This castle-like building was built between 1890 and 1894 by engineer, G.H. Hill for Manchester Corporation Waterworks Committee.
The building now only houses an electronically operated valve which controls the flow of water to major towns and cities in Lancashire and Greater Manchester. In October, 1894, the first waters made their way steadily downhill all the way to Manchester without the need for any pumps. This 94 mile journey takes 27 hours..This castle-like tower has not housed a straining plant since 1980, when the Dunmail Raise water treatment centre was opened.
March 24, 2017
This image is the property of Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH) All Rights Reserved
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more