PORT CARLISLE 01A - Remains of the dock at Port Carlisle
The old dock at Port Carlisle in Cumbria.
Port Carlisle was constructed at Fishers Cross (as the village was known prior to the building of the port) in the 1820s to provide a deep-water port for Carlisle. A canal was constructed to enable sea-going ships to carry freight and passengers right into the city.
In 1854 the canal was replaced with a railway, but the port did not flourish and goods trains ceased to run to the port in 1899. The line closed in 1932 and the dock was abandoned.
The view in this photo looks from the old quay across the Solway Firth to Scotland. The remains of the Steam Packet pier lies to the left of the inlet and the remains of the stone dock wall to the right.
January 07, 2018
© Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH). All Rights Reserved
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more