PORT CARLISLE 03A - Remains of the dock at Port Carlisle
The old dock at Port Carlisle in Cumbria.
Port Carlisle was constructed in the 1820s to provide a deep-water port for Carlisle. A canal was constructed to enable sea-going ships to carry freight and passengers right into the city. In 1854 the canal was replaced with a railway, but the port did not flourish and goods trains ceased to run to the port in 1899. The line closed in 1932 and the dock was abandoned.
Stones were heaped into the centre of the dock to maintain deep water levels beside the stone outer dock, quay and pier.
January 07, 2018
© Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH). All Rights Reserved
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more