Urswick and Bardsea
BARDSEA 01A - Bardsea Pier
Bardsea Pier, Bardsea, Cumbria.
Bardsea existed as small fishing community until the mid nineteenth century when iron ore mining led to the industrialisation of Furness. Bardsea then became an important little port with vessels calling to unload coal and collect iron ore and corn. According to Mannex's Directory of 1882, a steam packet sailed from Bardsea to Fleetwood five times a week, and to Liverpool weekly. Wadhead Scar would have prevented ships coming too close to shore so the two stone piers probably provided anchorage via wooden jetties, the remains of which can be seen at low tide. Ships could then be anchored in the channel and goods and passengers ferried ashore in rowing boats. The commemorative stone on the pier bears the inscription ‘TRGB 1833’. The letters are the initials of Colonel Braddyll, a local landowner who traded in coal and iron ore. This limestone block was re-seated into this position by a local mining history society.
February 15, 2013
© Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH). All Rights Reserved
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more