RELATED PAGES: Beech Home Page
When I started this blog I never thought I'd be looking to make anything from beech leaves. Well, how about a supposedly gorgeous liqueur?
In case anyone wants to join me in having a go this year, I'm writing this before mine is ready because the leaves need to be picked now while they are still young and almost translucent. Let's hope it really is delicious. Time will tell - 3 weeks actually, so not too long!
Young beech leaves (sufficient to half fill a large bottle or jar).
I bottle gin
350 g white sugar
480 - 500 ml brandy
- Half fill a large jar with beech leaves.
- Cover with the gin, seal the jar and store in a dark place for 3 weeks.
- Strain off the liquid ( I used a large sieve lined with two sheets of muslin).
- Boil the sugar in 480 ml of water to dissolve.
- Add to the gin with the brandy.
- Bottle and chill.
3 WEEKS LATER ............ Actually 2 weeks and 3 days since it went into the jar - a bit early I know, but wow ........ it IS gorgeous!!