RELATED PAGES: Ramsons (wild garlic) Home Page
Spread these tasty scones with butter and enjoy with a bowl of soup!
Makes 8 - 10
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g finely grated cheddar cheese
30g washed and finely chopped wild garlic leaves
1 tsp paprika (or dry mustard)
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 beaten egg
A little milk
Heat the oven to 220c / 425f / Gas 7.
1. Mix the flour and baking powder, then using your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the paprika (or mustard), salt, pepper, cheese and wild garlic leaves.
3. Add the beaten egg with just enough milk to bind it into a soft dough.
4. Dust your board with a little flour and gently pat the dough into a round about 2 cm thick, cut out your scones.
5. Place on a greased or floured baking tray and brush the tops with a little milk.
6. Bake for about 12 minutes until the scones are risen and golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Do not twist the scone cutter. Gently push the dough out.