Whitby and Saltwick Bay
WHITBY 06B - Whitby Lower Harbour and Lighthouses
Whitby Harbour entrance and the 4 lights, Whitby in North Yorkshire.
The West Pier lighthouse is just over 22m tall and was built in 1831 of local sandstone. The shorter East Pier Lighthouse is almost 17m tall and was built in 1855.
Red and green lights are fixed to the painted towers situated at the end of each pier extension. The left beacon shows a green light and the right, red, so that from the sea, port and starboard are in their correct positions.
October 15, 2018
© Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH). All Rights Reserved.
This website uses essential cookies. Learn more