Pictures of Caton and Claughton
Photographs taken around Caton and Claughton on the edge of the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire.
A view towards the Caton Wind Farm and clay pits from Aughton in the Forest of Bowland AONB, Lancashire.
Church of St. Paul, Brookhouse, Caton in Littledale, Lancashire.
St. Paul's Church has a 16th century tower, but was largely re-built in the 1860s by Paley of Lancaster.
The Black Bull Inn and St. Paul's Church, Brookhouse, Caton, Lancashire..
The medieval Plague Stone set into the wall of the bridge over Bull Beck at Brookhouse, Caton, Lancashire. Neighbouring farmers fearful of catching a plague which was spreading through Caton would have insisted that the villagers pay for their produce by throwing coins into this disinfectant-filled stone at the edge of the village.
The Ancient Oak, Caton, Lancashire,.
This old knarled oak tree, sometimes called the Druid's Oak, is believed to be thousands of years old and now only has one branch which is supported by a metal frame. It grows next to the medieval Fish Stones.
The Fish Stones, Caton, Lancashire.
The three circular stone slabs next to the ancient oak tree are believed to have been used for selling locally caught fish in Medieval times.
Sadly the oak fell down under the weight of the new growth one month after this photo was taken.
Low Mill, Caton, Lancashire.
Low Mill was built for cotton weaving in 1784 on the site of a 13th-century corn mill. The cotton mill was built by the prominent Liverpool merchant and slave-trader, Thomas Hodgson.
A view of the Caton Wind Farm from Littledale in the Forest of Bowland AONB, Lancashire.
Caton Windfarm, Caton Moor, Caton, Lancashire.
The towering wind turbine number three, named 'Willow' by local schoolchildren. There are eight turbines in total each 55 metres tall with rotor diameters of 70 metres.
Waymark 7 of The Lancashire Witches Walk at Caton Windfarm in Lancashire.
The 51 mile walk, created to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Lancashire Witches trial and hangings in 1612, runs between Barrowford and Lancaster Castle. Ten cast iron waymarkers created by Stephen Raw have been positioned along the route with each waymarker commemorating one of the "witches".
This waymark at Caton is dedicated to Anne Redferne. Each waymark is inscribed with one tercet of The Lancashire Witches poem by Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy.
Tercet 7 reads:
'below which Demdike, Chattox, shrieked,
like hags, unloved, an underclass,
badly fed, unwell
Their eyes were red.'
Penny Bridge or Caton Lune Bridge at the Crook O'Lune, Caton, Lancashire.
The bridge opened for road traffic in 1883. The old railway bridge can be seen behind the road bridge. The debris on the tree to the right shows the height the Lune reached during Storm Desmond in 2016.
Waterworks Bridge, Caton in Lancashire.
The Waterworks Bridge spanning the River Lune was built in 1906 to carriy two pipelines that supply water from Thirlmere to Manchester.
River Lune Monitoring Station, Caton, Lancashire.
The station monitors the water levels of the Lune. Caton Moor wind farm can be seen in the distance.
Claughton Brick Works, Claughton, Lancashire.
An aerial ropeway bringing the clay from the quarrry on Claughton Moor to the brick works. The historic works were opened in 1898 and re-opened in 2014.
Claughton Brickworks Aerial Ropeway, Claughton, Lancashire.
This gravity powered aerial ropeway carries buckets full of shale one and a quarter miles downhill from the clay pits on Claughton Moor to the Brick Works on the A683. This is the last gravity powered ropeway in the UK.
Claughton Moor Clay Pits, Claughton, Lancashire.
A gravity powered aerial ropeway carries buckets full of shale one and a quarter miles downhill from the clay pits on Claughton Moor to the Brick Works at Claughton.